SPAM HEAVEN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Experience with Pokemon TCG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Experience with Pokemon TCG Empty Your Experience with Pokemon TCG

Post by The Supreme King Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Has anyone here actually played the TCG? If so what formats and what are your favorite cards? Also just Pokemon general. Remissness about your days with Pokemon cards.

I only played a little bit during the Majestic Dawn on format and some during HGSS on. I absolutely love Magnezone Prime and the decks I played were MagneRock, MagneBoar, and MagneEels.
The Supreme King
The Supreme King
Fellowship of the Dark Law

Cookies : 3504

Back to top Go down

Your Experience with Pokemon TCG Empty Re: Your Experience with Pokemon TCG

Post by ThePowerfulStaraptor Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:00 pm

I never played Pokemon TCG cause that is what Yugioh is for lol.
ThePowerfulStaraptor
ThePowerfulStaraptor
Nice and Powerful
Nice and Powerful

Cookies : 3427

Back to top Go down

Post by #assassin Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:17 pm

I've never played it before.

I might start playing it though. Someday.
#assassin
#assassin
King of the Forum
King of the Forum

Cookies : 4031

http://spamheaven.cakeforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Supreme King Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Agent Ward wrote:I've never played it before.

I might start playing it though. Someday.
It's fairly cheap especially compared to Yugioh. There is a set rotation, but the cards that come out later in the rotation cycle can make it through multiple rotations. They also support their own online simulator, unfortunately you have to unlock packs online to get cards with codes from real packs.
The Supreme King
The Supreme King

Cookies : 3504

Back to top Go down

Post by thetrue7man Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:58 pm

I played from as far as I can remember through shortly after Majestic Dawn. It's not a bad game, but it fundamentally lacks any equivalent of traps or an extra deck, making it entirely too luck-based and comparatively lacking in interaction. It was a game where almost all of the skill was in deck building, rather than deck playing. There are plenty of reasons why I quit. The reason I quit when I did was largely due to the death of delta species (being that the pokemon aren't always the colors they should be). Why? Because it made it, to some extent, a giant, entangled round of rock-paper-scissors, matchup-wise. Granted, it isn't "this color is always weak to that color", but it is more so now than it was in the good old days. Delta Species meant that you didn't just automatically curb stomp your opponent with water just because they were fire. And, because of energies, each additional type takes away from a deck's consistency, so trying to take away from this effect is punished. Now, dual-type decks can be successful, but it just isn't quite as consistent that way. The lack of a real equivalent to DN/Devpro is a huge blow to deck testing. Also, the supporters in the age of delta species always kept the decks hyper consistent, so that you had options, besides "bench your topdecked basic, attach, swing, turn". The loss of the Holon trainers was a loss to the game as a whole. I had my fun with this game, and spent a not so small fortune on it, but I just find yugioh to be a better game.

I still play with my friends once or twice a year, but I have stopped playing at the card shop as aforementioned. This always just reminds me why I stopped.

Maybe I just got too used to the format and decks that I loved, and proceeded to rage quit, but the above is how I have viewed it in hindsight.

I wouldn't discourage playing it, after all, I did play it for more of my life than I now haven't, but this was my experience.

Last edited by thetrue7man on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I failed at revising.)
thetrue7man
thetrue7man

Cookies : 3374

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni~Mage Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:13 pm

A few things I remember from what I have overheard/watched of this game:

-The "must open a basic" rule allows you to rig your decks so that you can always open 2-3 specific basics, this became superbly reinforced via EX and similar super strong basics.

-Card Advantage is much less important than Tempo here. Typically within a given block of PokeTCG there are at least 3 Supporters that involve drawing cards, making it very easy to have the maximum hand size the entire game. This, when combined with the above point, gives the illusion (at least to me) that it is impossible to "brick" in PokeTCG.

-Basics with high HP and high damage-to-energy ratios are preferred above all else in higher-echelon play. Hence the aforementioned reliance on EX pokemon.

-The "one energy per turn", "active pokemon" and prize wincon system are the primary methods of limitation in terms of game design trends like "power creep". You can open a bunch of pokemon and a bunch of energy and you still might lose out if your opponent is clever about their one energy per turn. In the first few sets of this game I used Gust of Wind and Energy Removal to decimate players with ease, the tempo shifts granted by these cards were very difficult to overcome and became basic prize enablers against unskilled opponents, much like how Raigeki tends to decimate unintelligent yugioh players.

I recall I quit this game after discovering it had set rotation. That's a serious deal-breaker to me, especially since like truman said, there's no decent sim for the TCG (in spite of there being at least 3 quality sims for the VG) O_o
Omni~Mage
Omni~Mage
Sub Boss
Sub Boss

Cookies : 3452

Back to top Go down

Post by Twaifu Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 pm

I played the Pokemon TCG super casually as a kid. When I was in elementary school kids didn't have videogames (most of them didnt) and stuff like that so we played (and had a trading economy) based around Pokemon, Yugioh and Bakugan ^^'

I was always the best at Trading Card Games as a kid :3 of course, discovering the actual competitive scene hit me like a brick. My first Pokemon deck was the starter pack 2-player thing where there was 2 30 card decks you could combine to make a 60 card deck (the pokemon on the box were plusle and minun). I collected tons of cards and got a huge binder but the binder didn't have any really rare cards so I sold it at a yard sale ._.

Nowadays I just have some really rare cards, an extremely out of date and shitty gardevoir deck, and like 2 rare cards.
Twaifu
Twaifu

Cookies : 3361

Back to top Go down

Post by thetrue7man Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Twaifu wrote:(the pokemon on the box were plusle and minun).
I remember that thing!
thetrue7man
thetrue7man

Cookies : 3374

Back to top Go down

Post by #assassin Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:20 pm

thetrue7man wrote:
Twaifu wrote:(the pokemon on the box were plusle and minun).
I remember that thing!

Oh yeah, me too!

Wait.. nevermind.
#assassin
#assassin
King of the Forum
King of the Forum

Cookies : 4031

http://spamheaven.cakeforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content